Thursday, March 3, 2011

Urban Homesteading

I'm urban homesteading it up today! I have coconut bread baking in the oven, though I changed it up a little. I used walnut oil instead of ghee, since I didn't have any and was too lazy to make some. I used some gorgeous fertile eggs from the farmer's market in it. I also added about 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda, based on the comments that it was super flat. It has a few minutes left to bake, but looks and smells amazing.


Well, in the end we didn't actually like it. It was a bit too dense for what I was looking for. It was the perfect size for a little peanut butter and honey sandwich for my son, though! And it was great slathered with some cultured butter and honey, but I definitely needed a glass of that raw milk to help wash it down! I'm hoping to try Nourished Kitchen's Buckwheat Sourdoughnuts next. I'm completely out of my element since I never bake at all, but buckwheat sourdoughnuts!!! Sounds so insanely good.


On Friday we did the farmer's market and also received our CSA box (sadly they changed our delivery day from Wednesday to Friday so now it's the same day as the farmer's market, erg). I love taking pictures of all our goodies, it just so gorgeous. Can you tell we love oranges? And yes, we have had tomatoes year round this year! I guess they grow them in a green house?

This past weekend I was also hard at work getting stuff planted in our first raised bed. I now have planted: carrots, arugula, beets, spinach, loads of green onions, sweet onions, red onions, dill, cilantro and parsley. I have hundreds of little tomato sprouts going, 5 different types and some oregano sprouts I threw in for kicks since I've had the little packet of seeds for about 3 years. The bean also got his little garden going. He has green onions, spinach and beets growing in his. We transplanted his two sunflower plants yesterday, they were about 6 inches tall with 4 leaves each. This morning when we went out, an evil slug was sitting there munching away, they were completely decimated. Poor guy. We'll have to try again with new seeds this weekend.

I met one of our neighbors this weekend, the one who owns the little, unused plot of land across the road from us. I mentioned how I'd been eying it, that tomatoes would grow so well there since it's so sunny. She told me to go right ahead and plant away, as long as I shared some tomatoes here and there! I'm beyond excited. I can't wait to get to work on it this weekend! They also have loads of scrap wood from the landscaping they are doing that they said I was welcome to for my chicken coops. Woo woo!

So, that's the latest and greatest here on my very own little urban homestead in Topanga. I couldn't be more in love with my new home!

Our mouse catcher, Lily.

My little pot o'honey I got in my stocking. Delicious raw honey from Spain.

A much needed glass of Bordeaux and a relaxing candle, ah...


2 comments:

  1. awww Lily is beautiful... so is the rest of your post .... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. Looking forward to following.

    ReplyDelete