Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Latest Addiction

Oh Cara Cara oranges, where have you been all my life?

With the citrus season in full swing, we have been loading up on oranges, either at the farmer's market or from our CSA box. At the farmer's market I had been mainly purchasing blood oranges, I just love them. Recently I realized what a pain in the butt blood oranges were when you have kids. They are messy! So, a few weeks ago I randomly grabbed a few oranges that weren't blood oranges. I didn't look at what they were, but when I ate the first one I was in pure heaven. The flesh is a gorgeous pink, filled with sweet, sweet juice. There are loads of funny baby pieces on the outside portions of the orange, as well as the inside.

Later the same week I got some in my CSA box, but there was no sheet telling me what they were. Thankfully I have a super nice citrus guy at the Topanga farmer's market and he told me what I was looking for were Cara Cara oranges. I will be oh so sad when their season ends.


If you like your oranges on the sour side, these aren't for you, but if you love them sweet (funny, I'm generally anti-sweet except for when it comes to oranges!) these oranges are for you! Get them at your local farmer's market before they are gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment