Thursday, February 2, 2012

Eggs and Chasing Goats

I've been working on finding new sources for food up here in Big Bear.  I've gotten as far as finding a new egg lady (yay!).  I posted a wanted listing on Craigslist and what do you know!  Another couple, also recent transplants, had eggs for me.

Lovely set of eggs from my new egg source

One of the lovely ladies who lays my eggs

Another beautiful egg layer!

The boys and I went to visit their home and pick up some eggs.  They also had a male little pygmy goat that was just the sweetest thing you've ever seen.  We visited again today for another dozen eggs and I got some pictures of the chickens and the goat.  We also got to feed the little guy (his chin was sooooo soft!).  While we were there Little Man was chasing him around and tripped.  He cracked his eyebrow right on the edge of their metal snow stairs and split it open.  Poor guy.  I had to visit Big Bear Lake urgent care and he needed stitches!  I didn't think he would.  Thankfully the doctor was able to use that surgical tape instead of actual stitches.  At least Little Man has a good story to go with the scar!

Little Man feeding the goat
That's my hand, feeding the goat
So handsome, he seemed to like getting his picture taken.  This is in  their little greenhouse/goat house

Carolina and the goat (I forgot the little guy's name)
Little Man and the Bean before chasing the goat incident
And after, Carolina was nice enough to find us some cookies to provide some distraction

I've also been being better about cooking and I'm really trying to get myself to bake.  It is not my favorite thing, but I'm so sick of buying store bread.  I feel like if I just get the hang of it I'll like doing it.  I know it's nothing like bread, but I started with these amazing grain free, blueberry almond crumb muffins and the kids went nuts over them!  They gobbled them all up (and each one is like a mini meal) and for the next two days Liam begged me to make more.  I made them again yesterday and they were gobbled up once more.  Now I need more almond flour!  It's great to be able to give my kids a "treat" that is really, really good for them.  I know that if they get full on these muffins it's all okay, they've had a ton of great food put into their belly.  Anyhow, gluten free or not (we are not a gluten free family), I highly recommend you check this recipe out and get some made.  They were soooo good!

Blueberry Almond Crumb Muffins

That's pretty much it.  The whole house, other than myself, has been down the last two weeks with that nasty belly bug that's been going around.  My house looks like a hurricane hit it and I'm exhausted.  Looking forward to Saturday down in Los Angeles, for a girly day of babyshowers, a trip to the spa, dinner at The Little Next Door and a movie (can't honestly recall the last time I saw one in the theater).

1 comment:

  1. I'm liking this blog complete with chickens and goats!! Following from Etsy 123 team

    ReplyDelete