Monday, January 23, 2012

A Simple Fare

True to my word, I'm trying to blog a bit more.  Today I had some simple food for dinner, simple but scrumptious.

Early last year my CSA was offering an awesome deal on giant boxes of cosmetically marred but otherwise perfect organic apriums.  I got a box as did my friend, Marlyn.  I failed miserably at getting mine canned before they started turning, but Marlyn got her's done.  She was kind enough to give me a couple jars.  They've been sitting there, tempting me for months now.  I kept telling myself to wait for a time when I didn't have fresh fruit available.

Apriums in honey with dill

Tonight I was looking in my depressingly empty fridge (despite the large amount of money I just spent a few days ago at the store) trying to figure out what to do for dinner.  I looked in the pantry.  There were those gorgeous jars of apriums.  I also had a hunk of aged gouda sitting in the fridge and a bottle of chardonnay.  Sounded like a good combo to me!  And it was.  It was actually heavenly.  The apriums were super delicate, so I toasted a bit of bread to serve as a vessel for their sweet goodness.  The dill gave them this very slight and extremely complimentary flavor in the background.  The cheese and the wine just made it complete.

Apriums, aged gouda, La Crema chardonnay


I also had a lot of eggs, cheddar and some broccoli sitting in the fridge.  Sounded like little mini broccoli quiche time to me!  Took me about 5 minutes to toss together, puff pastry I already defrosted from the freezer, chopped up the broccoli and tossed in a super hot pan with some water and covered.  While that was getting a quick steam I buttered a cupcake pan and squished in 9 little squares of puff pastry.  Tossed the broccoli in and then poured some whipped up eggs, 1/2 and 1/2 with a bit of garlic, truffle salt and pepper.  6 of the 9 little quiches also had some cayenne pepper sprinkled on top.  I topped them with a small slice of cheddar.  Chucked them in the oven at 400 for 20 mins and voila.  Dinner was served.  With more wine, of course.




So obviously this was no fancy 6 course meal, or even one with a main course and 2 sides and a salad, just a busy mom who likes yummy food meal.  Trust me, it was satisfying, easy and damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment