Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cooking with the Munchkin


I decided to include my older munchkin in making dinner last night. This past week was exhausting, so we were making a super lazy, easy dinner: rainbow chard with Italian sausage and spaghetti.


I started off by teaching him what rainbow chard was. He thought it was pretty cool. I showed him how to take the stems off and how to wash it properly. I broke the chard up into big chunks (maybe 2 inch pieces) and let them drain in a colander.


I cut up 3 raw Italian sausages with my kitchen shears and cooked them on low till the chunks were browned on each side. This time I had some spring onions from my CSA box so I chopped one up and tossed that in, too. And I was drinking some chardonnay so I dumped a little of that in there just for kicks. I then shoved all my rainbow chard in the pan and squished it down with a heavy lid. I flipped it over a few times till it was all just wilted and all done! On the side I'd made some basic spaghetti, nothing fancy just regular dried noodles and a jar of organic sauce from Trader Joe's. I figure I can get fancy and start making my own sauce when my kids are older! I topped it all with freshly grated parmesan cheese and yum!!

I had meant to make our one little artichoke we got in our CSA box, but I never got around to it. It worked out because I was stuffed after just the spaghetti and chard! Anyhow, easy, healthier than just plain ol' spaghetti and quite tasty!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe he'll grow up to be a little chef! That looks very yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I love chard with sausage.

    ReplyDelete